The Idea of Visita Iglesia never occurred to me until this Holy Week, Visita Iglesia is a catholic practice where in you are to visit seven churches and pray in each, usually done on a Maundy Thursday but it would sometimes continue until Good Friday especially if the distance of the churches are far from each other. With my wife and daughter in tow we decided to visit seven churches but instead of going to the famous and accessible churches we opted to visit the community churches in Baguio City that are situated in the Barangays. The purpose of this blog is to share the information about these community churches in Baguio City.
1. Saint Joseph Church – located near the Pacdal circle this church caters to the residents and tourists within the Pacdal Area.
2. St. Padre Pio Parish – Located at Beckel part of La Trinidad Benguet but the access road to this place is proximate from Pacdal, it is a small community church at the slope of a hill.
3. Scout Barrio Church – A small yet well kept community church at Scout Barrio Barangay, several meters away from the gate of Camp John Hay.
4. Loakan Community Church – a small community church located several meters away from the Loakan airport gate and it is embedded within the community or barangay.
5. Holy Family Parish Church – Located in Bakakeng this church has a huge altar and a very high ceiling and located in a quiet place within the community.
6. Our Lady of Grace Church – embedded within Barangay Q.M. this small church caters to the residents of both Lower and Upper Q.M. community.
7. Seminario Mayor Recoletos Parish – this church is also home to seminarians studying to be one day serve God as priests.
A trip to these community churches makes me realize how important it is to bring the church closer to the people. We have completed Visita Iglesia and it makes us realize that God is omnipresent and can be found in our own community through our churches.